Thursday, June 24, 2010

Aural boyfriend

A friend of mine just posted a Jeff Buckley song on their facebook page.  I remember when I first heard him.  I was in 10th grade and Daria introduced me to Grace.  From the very first listen I was absolutely lovestruck.  The voice, the lyrics, the way he breathed between phrasing... I still get chills to this day.

He was playing a small show in NYC, and we desperately wanted to go.  A local radio station had tickets, and while it wasn't an actual contest, Daria and I called them up and sang a song about him set to the tune of Hole's Doll Parts hoping to impress them (or make them pity us).   I don't remember all of the words, but I know it ended with the line "Sooooomeday we will see Jeff Buuuuckleeeeyyyy".  They laughed, told us we were amusing, but didn't give us any damned tickets.  He died not long after that.

He sang the way I always wished a boy would sing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment